Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I'm how old!?!

Sorry for the old posts...I know it is the week of November 14th, but let's get filled in on what has happened previously :)

I completed a Megayacht Interior Operations course in my second week here. We learned how to fold toilet paper! I know, don't be jealous of me. I now know how to toilet paper, towels, napkins, make a bed, take out stains...my mother always said before I came out here, that she couldn't believe I was leaving to be a maid. Oh well I am :) Hey I'll be a maid that gets to experience new places and environments every day, and I'll be making much more than a teacher would come close to. I also learned how to tie lines which is fun, its like I'm in boy scouts or something. Best of all, I got to do some flower arranging!
This is my final result!
Overall, the course was interesting. I did learn many new things, so there isn't a drawback.  I'm happy as long as I am learning/experiencing something new. During this week, one of the stewardesses in the course asked if she could bring my CV to her chief stew.  She thought that I would get along very well with the crew. (Unfortunately, it is now the two weeks later and I have yet to hear anything!) Oh well, it was a nice gesture.  I also started tutoring a man Adrien in his Masters of Stability course. He is a captain, who heard that I am a math nerd, who can tutor him with the math concepts.  I loved it! It always feels amazing tutoring because the person is taking an interest in determining their own success. It was quite funny when I realized I kind of treated him like a teenager when he would approach problems wrong or make errors...but he really appreciated it.  It was awesome to see his confidence in the subject grow.  And hey, I learned so much about what you have to do to a boat to stabilize it when extra weight is added to it.  Well I know how to calculate it anyways. IYT has been a great training center. I'm really glad that I went with them because of the knowledge they have about the subjects and the opportunities that will develop from going there.

Proabably the funniest thing that happened this week occured when I got off the phone with Lauren.  Mary, my coo-coo landlord knocks on my door and proceeds to tell me that she likes my flowers that were outside on the table.  I had told her that I got them today, but ommited the fact that they were from the flower arranging class.  She says, "Ya I know, your boyfriend called me last week to get the address, so he could send them for your birthday!" Haha woops Mary, ya I made those :) Aw but yes, the next day, Friday, I came home from my last day of training to see a beautiful arrangement of flowers on my dresser.  Sunflowers are my favorite :)
I love Sachi so much! The flowers were such a wonderful present. He really does make me miss him though! ;) It was sad to be without my friends and family this year for my birthday.  I mean, last year, I was at a math conference for my birthday...so woo! But it definitely would have been nice to spend it with all the new wonderful people that I've met in the last 4 months. Especially Sach!

No comments:

Post a Comment